Here is what my current group of journalism students said they would like to work on for third quarter:
- Make my writing more interesting… draw the reader in… intrigue and capture the reader
- Learn more about the nuts and bolts of writing quality news stories
- Write smoothly, ensure writing flows
- Connect with a variety of readers
- Learn techniques for gathering information in an efficient way
- Learn about ways to write a book review that’s intriguing and exciting, yet does not give the book away
- Improve comma usage and come up with fresh phrases and sentences that aren’t repetitive
- Learn about writing objective news stories when one clearly has a personal bias either for or against a topic or person… how do you keep yourself out of it?
- Gather and use more insightful quotes that significantly contribute to an article
- Learn more about how photographs compliment an article
- Learn more about newspaper production as a whole
- Improve the quality of review writing, specifically dining reviews
- Techniques on how to overcome writer’s block
All great stuff that we will be sure to cover!